4 lbs. sweet potato
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
5 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, chopped
4 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
1 thin slice fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
1 cup nonfat milk
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. ground white pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Place sweet potato halves on a baking pan cut sides up. Cover with foil. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until tender. Set aside.
3. While squash is baking, heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
4. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender.
5. Add apples, broth, ginger, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until apples are tender. Remove from heat. Set aside.
6. Place apple mixture in blender, in two or more batches, if necessary; cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until smooth. Return apple mixture to saucepan. Set aside.
7. Scoop out sweet potatoes flesh. Place sweet potato with milk in blender, in two or more batches, if necessary; cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until smooth.
8. Place squash in saucepan with apple mixture, salt, and pepper. Bring to a gentle boil over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat immediately.
9. Ladle evenly into eight serving bowls.